Weight Loss Ticker

Monday, January 24, 2011

Eat This Not That 2011 Edition

I'm sure many people have heard of this book. It's by David Zinczenko. It's a great restaurant guide. For example, Romano's Macaroni Grill Spaghetti and Meatballs with tomato sauce has 720 calories, 27 grams of fat, and 1,900 milligrams of sodium. However, Olive Garden's Spaghetti and Meatballs has 1,110 calories, 50 grams of fat, and 2,180 milligrams of sodium.

It's insane some of the things I saw in this book. KFC's Potato Wedges has 260 calories, 13 grams of fat, and 740 milligrams of sodium. While Wendy's Medium Fries has 410 calories, 19 grams of fat, and 350 milligrams of sodium. Even though the Wendy's fries has less sodium, the book still says that the KFC's potato wedges are still healthier.

They even has salads in this book. My mom loves Applebee's Oriental Grilled Chicken Salad. It has 1,240 calories! Instead of getting grilled, she gets the fried chicken! How in the world can a salad have a days worth of calories in it?

The book also has recipes in it. I got it at Amazon for $9.45. I got free shipping because I have that Amazon Prime (it's free for students who have a valid student email address!)

Well, that's about it. :)

Enjoy the rest of your day!

3 comments:

  1. This book really is an eye opener!

    Just a quick comment about your boyfriend issues. When I met my husband, we spend nearly every day together and rotated whose house we stayed at depending on what was going on the next day. Relationships are about compromise but he didn't get moody until after we were married ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Manda. To be 100% honest, I think I'm the one with the problem. I am expecting too much - like expecting a response to every text message. He has a lot on his plate while I don't have that much. He's trying to get his band to be known, and I really don't know how stressful that is. He did come over to my house last night, and we had a good time just relaxing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea its astounding the amount of crap in fast food and chain restaurant food. Generally, if we are feeling like we're in the mood for chain restaurant food, I always check the nutrition facts online before we go so I know what to order. The calories in salads often come from the copious amount of dressing. And of course if you order the protein fried instead of grilled that adds to it. And if there is something on it like fried wontons or something, that will kill it too. I used to LOVE the oriental salmon salad from Chili's with tons of fried wontons and cups of peanut dressing on top. I won't eat it anymore because its just not worth the calories to me (and I couldn't trust myself to just use like a tablespoon of dressing...wouldnt happen...part of the greatness of that salad was that it was doused in dressing). Anyways, its good to be armed with nutritional info before going to the restaurant - that way you can make rational decisions about what to order.

    Also, I love the free amazon prime for students! I just got my new heart rate monitor with the free 2 day shipping :)

    ReplyDelete