Yesterday I went to support group! We did a clothing and protein exchange. I gave away some Protein Plu bars that tasted horrible, and in return I got some clothes and a couple of protein shots.
I have to be honest though. When I first signed up for Lap Band Talk I wanted support and more information. Now that I am banded and I know what is right and isn't right, I have found that Lap Band Talk offers no support. All I hear is negative things. Nothing on the forum seems accurate. The only section I like now is the fitness section.
People are expecting too much. I think the straw that broke the camel's back was when I saw a post about how this woman was going for her first fill and she would be upset if he would put but "only" 1 cc and wouldn't have restriction. Seriously? Honestly, I would like to tell some of these people to shut up because it's clear that they didn't do their research. I know there are so many educated people out there, but the insane amount of those who aren't educated ruin the whole damn forum.
Now I only go there to answer questions. I listen to only 95% of stuff I read on there.
I'm really glad that I have a wonderful doctor.

Sounds like a great support group. Glad you have it!
ReplyDeleteWhen I first started out researching the band I checked out lapband talk and it scared me to death. Everybody was so negative. Glad I found this community.
ReplyDeleteI am looking for more support. My surgeon doesn't have a support group until June. I find that some of the LBT is negative too but I have found some great band buddies too.
ReplyDeleteI did a post about the negativity on LBT once too. I'm finding the blogosphere to be much more helpful. Glad you have a "real life" support group you can use too.
ReplyDeleteI've heard others say that LBT is really negative and kind of scary for people reasearching the band. I'm so glad you are here in Blogland and have a real life support group too!
ReplyDeleteI've only found mostly positive information on LBT and now that I'm banded and know a little bit more about what I'm doing, I feel I need to keep stopping by just to help out in any way I can the people who are in the shoes I wore only a few months ago. Yes, there's some negativity but it's mostly based on confusion and misinformation, but I don't think that's the patient's fault - I think not everyone has access to great doctors. All the more reason that the more educated, experienced folks (I'm not one of them, but I've met quite a few there) need to keep stopping by to impart their wisdom and occasionally calm the hysteria. I know I found it immensely helpful in the early phases. Remember, LBT is one of the first hits for a "lap band" search so a lot of very fresh newbies stop there.
ReplyDeleteThat said, as far as support goes, I agree with MandaPanda above, the blogging community seems much more one-on-one supportive than the boards. Now that I'm banded, I know I couldn't do it with out the 'sphere.
Just my two cents.
I have the same issues with lapbandtalk.com... I get alot more support on here since the people blogging about their journey are pro-active... They want the best results but know that they have to work for it. The band is a tool to help you lose weight. It is not a magic wand that makes you lose weight. Sacrifice is difficult but necessary to enhance your weight loss. I plan on going to support groups but haven't yet. My bariatric center has a clothes closet too. You are very inspirational... so I am glad to follow your blog. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDelete