Weight Loss Ticker

Friday, September 24, 2010

Burrrrrritos!

My doctor is always telling me that I should plan my meals. Well, actually to plan the next day's meals. It sounds kind of boring. He does have a point though. It's kind of hard to find something some what healthy when you're in a hurry. So, I decided to make some burritos and freeze them. I just pull one of the freezer and put it in my lunch box for work.

I went to the store and bought this:
Brown rice, olives, refried beans, cheese, whole wheat tortilla wraps. What's not shown is lean ground turkey meat and taco seasoning.


You, of course, can put whatever your little heart desires in your burrito! :)

Step 1:

I pre-cut wax paper so I can easily wrap the tortilla up when I'm finished making it. You could also use parchment paper.

Step 2: I add a layer of refried beans, then brown rice, then olives, then the turkey, then the cheese (apparently, I forgot to add the cheese in this one!)

Step 3: Folding!

Grab the sides of the burrito like so:


Now fold the bottom part and keep on rolling...


You should end up with something like this:


Step 4: Wrapping!


Now basically wrap the paper around the burrito the same way you wrapped the burrito. I used masking tape to tape it up. It holds up pretty well in the freezer.



The end:

The "M" stands for meat. I have 8 meat ones and 8 non-meat ones. I ran out of meat. :( I only used half of the package of meat. I should have done the whole package.



I didn't have to pay for the taco seasoning and the cheese since I hardly had it. I basically paid $17 for 16 lunches. This will last me a whole month.

I also bought store brand. I also bought a can of olives that were whole. The sliced olives were more expensive than the whole ones, so I just decided to slice them before I put them on the burrito.

Make sure you pay attention to serving sizes!

Example:

Ground turkey: serving size 4 oz - I used 2
Brown rice: serving size 1/2 cup - I used 1/4
Cheese: serving size 1/4 - I used half that
Olives: serving size 6 olives - I used 4
Refried Beans: serving size 1/2 cup - I used 1/4

After doing the math, here is the nutritional value of one burrito (give or take a few)
Calories: 437
Fat: 12.7g
Sat. Fat: 5g
Chol.: 50mg
Sodium: 887.5mg (ouch, a little high!)
Carb. 54.7g (Most complex carbs i.e. whole wheat tortilla, and brown rice)
Fiber: 7g
Protein 22.5g
Calcium: 24%

According to MY daily values that my Bodybugg has set for me. This is a pretty good meal.

Here's my daily values:

Calories: 2300
Protein: 115g
Carbs: 345g
Fat: 50g
Sat. Fat: 20g
Cholesterol: 300mg
Sodium: 2400mg
Fiber: 26g
Calcium: 1000mg

This wrap makes me soooo full, and I can hardly finish one. Sometimes I just open it up and eat the inside. I know some people get stuck on soft shell tacos and rice. Luckily those aren't a problem for me most days. Sometimes I do get stuck on the tortilla. I just end up opening it up and eating the inside if that happens. So basically, I make one meal out of this.

Next month, I will try to experiment with tofu!

I hope everyone has a good weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Way to be proactive girl! :) And sounds YUMMY! I found my new love for ground turkey breast a few days before my pre-op liquid began; I can't wait to indulge in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete