Weight Loss Ticker

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Super Size Me, Please.

I decided to watch Super Size Me by Morgan Spurlock. Morgan Spurlock is an independent film maker who decided in 2004 to go on a "McDiet." He ate McDonald's three meals a day for 30 days. I've seen it before, but I don't remember where or when. I have Netflix so I watched it on my computer. It was very interesting, and I'm sure many people have already seen the film. I learned some new things, that I probably forgot or never actually paid attention to when I first watched the film.


Every knows that obesity can and will result in heart disease and diabetes, but I never knew it could cause cancer.


Here's a print screen that I took from the film:

(You may have to click on the pic for a larger view.)


Hypertension, coronary heart disease, stroke, gall bladder disease, osteoarthritis, sleep apnea, respiratory problems, endometrial cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, colon cancer, dyslipidemia, steatohepatitis, insulin resistance, asthma, hyperuricemia (aka gout), reproductive hormone abnormalities, polycystic ovarian syndrome, impaired fertility, and adult onset of diabetes.


Wow. That list could possibly just be a FEW.


There is also one more point that was made early in the film:
When will it be publicly acceptable to hassle fat people in the same way that we do smokers?
Many people tell smokers "Smoking is so bad for you! You need to stop before you die!" etc. How many people openly tell overweight people "Good God! You need to stop eating! Forget the dessert!" etc.


Honestly, though, if someone told me to put the cheeseburger down or that "I'm a cheeseburger away from a heart attack," I would be deeply offended. I'd probably cry. So, why is it acceptable to harass smokers when it is just as unhealthy to be overweight?


This has me thinking a lot about my "relationship" with fast food and food in general. Also, I wonder if the poor choices of food that I chose to eat affect the way my brain works. Could it be possible that the food that I eat is causing my depression? I think depression has several factors one is genetic (which I already have a strike against me) and certainly my body appearance doesn't make me happy. I wonder when I lose some weight what my mood will be like.


Hmmm... I have all of these thoughts.

6 comments:

  1. The smoker comment is a good point. I would also be offended if someone commented on my eating, but I never thought of it that way for smoking. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harrassing overeaters only makes us feel worse and leads to future binges. Harrassing smokers probably isn't effective either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amandakiska, that is kind of the whole point. It seems as though it is acceptable to tell a smoker how bad it is to smoke, but it is not okay to tell an overweight person, in public, to lose weight. Both involve addictions. So we either need to stop telling smokers what to do with their lives, or make it okay to tell overweight people to lose weight. I vote for stop telling people what to do with their lives even though their choices are bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A smoker is effecting my health too. Second-hand smoke, as we all know, is extremely hazardous. I would tell someone to stop smoking if they were in a non-smoking area. Especially around my one daughter who is extremely sensitive to smoke and has difficulty breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, of course, when it comes to an area where smoking is not allowed. I'm talking about everyday, "neurtal" area. In in my state, NC, they have made it illegal to smoke in restaurants and bars, unless it is a cigar bar. I'm really happy about that. I go to a restaurant to eat and relax. I don't feel relaxed when someone is smoking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know some smokers are mad about the ban, but I was really happy too.

    ReplyDelete