Good God Almighty! It's April 2, 2010 4:25pm, and it's freakin' 87 degrees outside! I hate living in the south. I hate being hot. The AC is broke upstairs were I live and it's hot. I got the window open. It's not helping.
Anyway! I had another encounter with the overweight lady who is apparently an expert dieter. I guess when you are a yo-yo dieter, you become an expert. (However, I was a yo-yoer too, but I never really got "it" - the whole "how" to lose weight thing.) So, during lunch the expert yo-yo coworker dieter says "Amanda, what's that you're drinking?" I say: "It's Optifast - kind of like Slimfast, but not really. My doctor is making me drink it." So the expert yo-yo coworker dieter smugly says "Oh. Well, that's why I like Weight Watchers. I can actually have food. In fact, I've lost 5 pounds last week." Her tone of voice was annoying... and she kind of moved/bobbed her head when she said it. Was I supposed to stand up on the table and throw rose peddles and glitter at her direction? I told her I lost 20 pounds, which is true. I've lost 20 pounds in three months. She had nothing to say about it. She's in her 40s, and I honestly want to say "Shut up and get a Lap Band." I have this feeling that she will not be able to lose enough amount of weight to get down to a normal BMI. She's been doing this diet for a year now... I hope the best for her though...
Whatever.
So, I was reading about how to shrink your liver with a low carb diet. I'm beginning to think this whole Optifast is a joke, but it kind of makes sense anyway.... sort of. I wonder what if my doctor told me to eat a low carb diet for 2 weeks. I wonder how I would stick to it and how much weight I would have lost. At first, the Optifast was hard to follow, but now it's ok. I'm not going to bring myself down after every time I cheat. I doubt a piece of candy will blow up my liver. I'm happy with my weight loss, but it's kind of annoying that the next time I can eat real food is when I have a band around my stomach. I mean, when I get banded, I'll take it easy for a couple of days, but I will start eating sugar free pudding, jello, yogurt, etc. That is, if I can handle it. I don't know how I will feel. This will be a good thing though!
Also, I have found that my scrub pants that I wear to work are getting too big! I have also found it to be annoying. I'm always have to pick them up and tying them really tight. It's not always easy to pull up my pants while I'm working. I'm usually in the middle of cleaning up poop. So, until I can get my gloves off and wash my hands, my pants are in the middle of my butt. I'm glad I wear a long tank top under my uniform though.
Alright... that's enough rambling. I have homework to do!

Your scrub pants are getting small?
ReplyDeleteI wish there was a way we could hit people over the head and have them suddenly understand why they, too, need to consider and/or get the band for themselves. I have a few people in my life that (bigger than me) think - good for you for doing this, I'll just do WW and be fine. Ummm...yeah...you've done WW for 40 years...how's that working out? You're STILL bigger than me. But there is no magic wand, eh?
Yeah, I don't know that I buy the shrinking liver joke, either. I do buy getting the glycogen out of the liver, but that takes 5 days. So why do we do this for two weeks or more? And you - on optifast entirely. This isn't how we'll eat or live post-band...so why? I get that the surgeon wants to make sure we are serious. But did out insurance requirements not prove that? I envy the peeps like BG whose surgeon told her something along the lines of 'any surgeon who thinks you have to do this diet so that he/she can "move your liver easier" is not worthy of being a surgeon'. Man how I wish I'd found me one of those logical, rational, reasonable surgeons! Such is life. Give me the band and move on... I'll pay attention to the nutrionist about what/how to eat before I pay attention to the man whose job is to cut us open...
What is it about your blog that makes me ramble on like so for your comments? You always talk about something I have an opinion on, I guess, eh? I hope you don't mind.
Shut up and get a lap band! Love it! Trust me that same thought has ran through my mind a couple of times! If I could join a gym and loose all this weight, oh and just try to eat healthy, I would have done it years ago! :)
ReplyDeleteLol. I need to read my blogs more before I post them. I meant that my pants were too big. Lol. Oh my. I wish I could only do the liquid diet for a week. I like the weight loss, but I feel as though I'm becoming anorexic and sad. I don't have all of the shakes because I fear my liver will be too big. UGH!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I want to make a shirt that says "Shut up and get a Lap Band." However, only those with a lap band would understand and I would probably get made fun of to those who do not understand weight lost surgery. Oh well!
LDswims, I don't mind that you make long comments. I actually got some information - like the ketosis one, just for an example. I like advice and tips. No one around me knows what the hell is going on. lol