Warning: TMI!!!
The past couple of days, I have been constipated. I hate that feeling. I feel so bloated and uncomfortable. Today I was at work, and really constipated. I couldn't take it anymore. I drank a little prune juice, and that didn't do anything. So, a nurse offered me some milk of magnesia. At first I said no, but then later I said yes because I knew I couldn't get unconstipated by myself, lol. Well, around 11:40am, she gave me some. It didn't work the whole time I was at work (THANK GOD!). I got home around 4pm, and I get the urge.
Anyway, to make a long story short, milk of magnesia pulls A LOT of water from other tissues into the colon. So, what comes out is pretty much water. Thank God it got me unconstipated, but I never knew it would be so bad! I've never been this constipated before. It is because of this stupid liquid diet!!!!!! I wish someone would have warned me to take fiber pills or fiber powder or something!
I'm still having "after shocks," and A & D ointment is my best friend right now. I've never had a laxative before, but now I know. The nurse suggested to buy some Metamucil. I think I will when I run errands tomorrow.
Moral of the story: Added fiber in your diet will leave you and your colon happy!

i feel your pain. i had the same issues post surgery. first i couldn't go so i took some m of m, then next thing i know, i couldn't STOP going. thankfully it seems to be working fine now. lol
ReplyDeleteThis may sound like a silly question, but are you sure you were constipated versus just not pooping bc you havent been eating solids?
ReplyDeleteThis is why I ask. During my liquids phase I found out that you should never trust a fart bc what comes out of your butt is usually liquid! Like my poop was just water! I was only putting liquids in, so that was all that was coming out. Then for months after being banded, I went through this whole phase of thinking I was constipated bc I wasnt pooping 2 times a week like before surgery. Now I realize that bc I eat SO MUCH LESS, I only poop like 3 times a week.
hahah....
funny the things you never think about!
Good thing you were home when it started working. I agree with Amy. Not sure how you can poop if you're not doing anything but liquids.
ReplyDeleteIt is possible to poop while on a liquid diet. I work with a couple of patients that are on a liquid diet for the rest of their lives and they still poop. The past two weeks I have probably pooped 3 or 4 times. Each time was very hard. This time it was very hard and backed up. I do contribute my lack of eating solid foods for my lack of BMs, and also I contribute constipation from not eating real food. The funny thing is that the milk of magnesia is still working!
ReplyDeleteAmanda, I'm right there with you on the constipation issue. BUT...I have been taking fiber. We add it to our morning smoothie. And I've been taking fiber wafers just before dinner. With all that, it's still not the normal amount of fiber for me. Over the weekend my water intake dropped and now I'm trying to work it out. It sucks! Yes, take the fiber - but I'm not sure that's enough. This diet is brutal! I think part of the problem is that the protein shakes make our kidneys work overtime and so the water that might normally be going to the colon is actually going to the kidneys right now. I am working on water water water and that seems to be helping...but it sure isn't solving it....
ReplyDelete